Wednesday, August 24, 2011

To all of the people who have affected my life "for good"...


"I've heard it said
That people come into our lives
For a reason
Bringing something we must learn
And we are lent to those
Who help us most to grow
If we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today
Because I knew you." 

From the moment I first heard this song ("For Good" from the musical Wicked), I knew it was going to be something I quoted for years to come. Especially during this time of my life. I have been realizing lately that people really do come into your life when you need them the most. And for some reason, when that happens, it's like it was meant to be all along. Even if your paths had crossed a long time before or at a different time in your life, some people were just meant to be in your lives...forever. And over the course of the last year and a half or so, I have had many people that have resembled that in my life and I thought I would take a moment to recognize some of them...

* Like my friend-turned-roommate, whom I met back in college and we really weren't that close, but somehow when we reconnected a few years back, I can't imagine not having her in my life. 

*Like my friend who was more like an acquaintance in high school than she was a close friend, but when we reconnected on Facebook, we found out that we both live in the same area, we both went to massage therapy school and we both love photography. 

*Like my ex-teacher from massage school, whom I see for energywork because she's amazing at what she does. But little did I know that she graduated from the same high school I did, just 25 years prior. 

*Like one of my favorite clients, who reminds me every session that "Trigger points are jerks", sarcasm is good, and an intuitive massage therapist is better than a practical one any day of the week.

*Like one of my new best friends. We crossed paths at Colorado State many years back and then, once again at Denver School of Massage Therapy, but we were merely acquaintances then. Then, a chance re-connection in the hallway outside of our massage therapist's office sparked a friendship that has spawned enough text messages, sarcasm and flat-out fun to keep us laughing and entertained for MANY years to come...

*And about that massage therapist... I had NO idea what I was in for a year ago when I asked him to work on me. I mean, I knew that he was an amazing structural bodyworker, but I wasn't nearly prepared for all the ways he has affected my life.  From Day One, he and I have been like kindred spirits. He's that person you feel like you've known your whole life, but haven't... He has managed to open up not just my body, but my mind and my heart as well. And for that, I will be forever grateful...

"It well may be
That we will never meet again
In this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me
Is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me
Like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have rewritten mine
By being my friend." 

To all of you who have left a "handprint on my heart", I love you all...






1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's amazing the people who come into our lives. And the ones who come back.

(Your painting/MT/drinking/sarcasm-loving/band friend)