Tuesday, August 23, 2011

"Does that make us morbid...?"

Ok, so I'm starting to realize that people can bond over the most interesting things. Like cemeteries, for example. Yes, I said cemeteries. For the longest time, I always thought that my mom and I were the only ones who got this sick joy in going to visit cemeteries. She kind of got me into it when I was a kid and, I don't know, I've always had this fascination for them. I like seeing how long people have lived, like trying to figure out if it was some historical thing that they died from (i.e. WWI, WWII, etc..), like seeing everything that has been left on their graves. But I could never really pinpoint it until a friend of mine and I found out that we had the same fascination a few months back...


We were discussing what we did over the weekend and I mentioned that my mom and I had gone up to Central City to check out the old cemeteries, which Central City is known for and has some turn-of-the-century ones up there. I mentioned how I loved going to cemeteries and he mentioned that he did too. Now, through the course of our friendship, we have realized A LOT of random similarities with us so the fact that we shared this in common was not too surprising to me. But his answer was what DID surprise me.


Him: "Does that make us morbid...?"
Me: "Maybe...but I don't think it's morbid at all..." 
Him: "...because I think there is a certain beauty to them..."
Me: "...Oh, absolutely. I don't know how many pictures I took, trying to capture it. And the peacefulness and the energy...I mean, it's almost..."
Him: "...magical?" 
Me: " *deep breath* ...yeah..." 


Now, like I said, this is normal for him and I, but even we didn't realize that the two of us had that random/different thing in common. And it makes me wonder what other random things that he and I, as well as my other friends and I, have in common. You might have things in common with people you didn't expect to have things in common with, but if you take the time to get to know someone, you might actually find out. Get to know someone before you assume anything. You just might find a friend for life or one of your weird fascinations might be one of theirs too...


I loved the contrast...

There were sadly a lot of stuffed animals



"Queen of Central City's" grave





Once again, loved the contrast...






No comments: